Monday, June 3, 2013

Hot sauce and tasty tacos – date night at Chilliwow

 photo timthumb_zps68e4fb5c.jpg
On Sunday night Tom and I found ourselves escaping the first flush of winter, in a booth at one of Brisbane’s newest fiesta joints – Chilliwow. Residing in what was once Barsoma, Chilliwow has brought its A-game to the themed bar scene in Brisbane with festive splashes of paint and more mexican décor than you can poke at a piñata.
 photo 4teatdrinkchilliwowa_zps954f06aa.jpg
It also offers a cheap and tasty menu consisting pretty much of chilidogs and tacos.
We only stayed a while but while we were there we indulged in two tacos (one beef, one pork) a chilidog, a Mexican beer and a red Mexican sangria.
 photo photo2-1_zps7c407869.jpg
Look at these babies - yummo!
The food was quick to come out and the tacos were simple, but fresh and tasty – not amazing – really the kind of food you’d throw together at home, but for $5 each you can’t complain.  The chilidog was a lot smaller than we expected but Tom seemed to enjoy it along with his beer.

I will say I was a bit disappointed with the sangria. It tasted good but the already small cup was crammed to the top with ice so I got around 4 small sips and it was over. Not really worth it in my book and next time I will most likely order a beer so I have a drink that lasts a little/a lot longer (when hot sauce is involved, this is important to me).
 photo solar_zpsb0ae6398.jpg
For a newly opened bar on a Sunday night Chilliwow wasn’t doing too badly. There were plenty of seats available and a steady stream of people kept coming through the door so I’m sure it would have picked up later on in the evening.

Chilliwow is a visual treat with its kitschy Mexican styling and this transpires to a super fun atmosphere – perfect for a laidback get together or a fun night out. I think it will become a firm and reliable favourite of ours and we’ll definitely stop in again for an inexpensive and relaxing evening...only next time I might read the labels on the hot sauce more carefully before sloshing it all over my tacos (beware the XXX hot!)…

 photo 4teatdrinkchilliwowb_zps9fc6be55.jpg
Must try this drink next time
Images courtesy of The Thousands, The Urban List and The Weekend Edition.

Chilliwow on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that place looks AWESOME! A great vibe and some kitschy details - perfect Mexican!

    ReplyDelete