Saturday, March 2, 2013

In search of a good brew

Since Archive Beer Boutique opened its doors a couple of years ago, the Brisbane "beer scene" has really come into its own.

No longer is a Corona with lime considered the beer of choice and although I'm still quite impartial to that light mexican flavour, it makes me ridiculously happy that there is more choice in both beer and in bars around Brisbane these days.

I'm going to warn you here, I'm no beer aficionado but I do like to enjoy a glass or two of golden goodness in the company of friends on occasion, and so I was a teeny bit excited when I finally crossed another two places off my 'Resolu-fun list on Friday night.

 photo DSC_0331_zps388f17bb.jpg
Beers at Tippler's Tap - Image from Brisbane Devoured
First up was Tippler's Tap in Newstead. I just knew I would love this place after receiving a cheeky, comical response from the Owner/Manager when I enquired about bringing a Birthday cake for the boyfriend (in case you're wondering they don't charge cakeage).

Tippler's looks like nothing from the street, but when you walkthrough those doors you're immediately transported to The Rockies. Decorated like an American log cabin and offering up traditional favourites like chicken wings, pork sliders and onion rings the food at Tippler's Tap is reasonably priced and extremely tasty. We also had the Corn on the Cob and Ploughman's Lunch both were top notch. The only real negative observation was the lack of Gluten free options available which made it difficult for some members of our party.
 photo DSC_0342_zpsabf6fcb6.jpg
Onion Rings at Tippler's Tap - Image from Brisbane Devoured
The beer at Tippler's Tap is of course the standout selling point. There is sooooo much to choose from! The staff are super friendly and very knowledgeable in relation to the huge range of local and imported beer on offer and our group certainly did our best to order a plethora of different beers over the few hours we were there. We'll definitely be returning to sample some more Stone and Wood on tap in the near future.

Just a short walk from Tippler's Tap is the recently opened Green Beacon Brewing Co. We headed here for a few beers and a change of scenery and a change it was. The beer was great and set up of long bench style tables in the brewhouse was cool but after the cosiness of Tippler's Tap, Green Beacon seemed a little bit...clinical. The staff were equally friendly and knowledgeable about the beers on offer but the atmosphere didn't win me over 100%. Still the brews could not be faulted and in my opinion you should give Green Beacon a go and support a great local business.

 photo timthumbphp_zpsbf0d10ed.jpeg
Green Beacon Brewing Co - Image from The Weekend Edition
 photo 239112abe3b37da4ace8a2ae87b45bc7_zpsd7fb5502.jpg
Green Beacon Brewing Co - Image from ArchitectureAU
Next up in the great Brisbane Beer Adventure? Scratch Bar and Bitter Suite...stay tuned

P.S. I was a bad blogger and didn't take any photographs on Friday night so please forgive me and note my acknowledgments.

  Green Beacon Brewing Co on Urbanspoon Tippler's Tap on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment